Breakfast during the week is always a hurried affair. I need something substantial, something fast and something I can make while I’m still half asleep.
Poached eggs are one of the simplest things to make. It might take some practice to get your technique down, but once you’ve mastered the art of boiling water you’re all set! Nestle those poached eggs on a bed of fat-free cottage cheese and you’ve got yourself a quick and nutritious breakfast.
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Add 1 tsp of salt to 1 pot of water. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Crack egg into a small bowl. Using a large slotted spoon gently stir the boiling water so that it is “swirling” as you gently slip the egg into the water *note: BE CAREFUL! Don’t stir the water so quickly that you splash yourself! And cook one egg at a time. If the pot is large and you may cook two at once, but I don’t recommend it, especially if you’re a novice at poaching eggs.
- Keep an eye on the eggs, watch them cook. Gently nudge them in the pot to keep them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When the water begins to foam, and the eggs look white and solid-ish carefully remove them one at a time from the water.
- To drain the eggs use a slotted spoon and place onto a small plate. Using a paper towel dab the water that drips onto the plate. Once the egg looks “drier” gently slip them on top of the cottage cheese
- Season with Salt & Pepper, or Chilli Powder or whatever you like… a bit of salsa might be nice too, do it up Huevos Rancheros style!